Children start learning as soon as they are born. From the moment they open their eyes, they are looking for someone to learn from—and that someone is usually a parent like you. By watching you, they learn so many positive things: how to smile, to speak, to share, to trust, to get along with others and to love.
So how can you be the kind of role model you want your child to learn from? Try these tips:
- Try to practise what you preach. Children notice when you do not do what you say.
- Be positive. Show kindness, empathy and respect for others.
- Set a good example by eating well and exercising regularly.
- Show them that learning is important to you. They are more likely to have a positive attitude to school if they see education as interesting and enjoyable.
- When problems arise, show your child how to deal with them in a calm and productive way.
- Be consistent.
- Remember, nobody is perfect. We all make mistakes and say or do things we later regret. But we can still be good role models by admitting our mistakes, apologising, and doing what we can to make things right.