Not sure how to help your teen start planning for their career? The Job Jumpstart website has a great range of articles, workbooks, videos and links for teens and the people who advise them.
What is Job Jumpstart?
Job Jumpstart is a website that provides a one-stop-shop for employment planning and job search information. It’s a great place to go when your teen wants to:
- work out what type of jobs might suit them
- understand what Australian employers look for when hiring
- understand how Australian employers recruit
- understand what’s meant by ‘employability’ skills and how to build them
- build their confidence to contact employers directly about jobs
- learn how to build their own pathway to the jobs they want.
From the home page your teen can click on ‘I’m in school’ to find articles about choosing a field of work, choosing a course, and starting a job.
Resources for parents
The dedicated Parents and friends page is a great entry point for parents. You can also go straight to:
- the Toolbox, with dozens of printable workbooks you can work through with your teen
- the Job search basis workbook, with tips and activities to help young people prepare for the workforce
- videos covering topics such as understanding your own preferences, working out what employers want and how to write a cover letter.
Job Jumpstart also has recruitment insights from Australian employers, and links to relevant Government resources, including help with financial planning and budgeting and information on workplace rights and responsibilities.
The Job Jumpstart website was developed by the Department of Jobs and Small Business in consultation with young people.