Let's get the groceries
Developed in partnership with Education Services Australia
Grocery shopping can feel like a chore, but it’s also a great chance to develop your child’s literacy and numeracy skills. Here are a just a few things you can ask your child to do:
- help create a shopping list
What do we need?
What letter does that start with?
How many bok choi do we have left?
- find items in the supermarket
Where do we find the coffee?
Which aisle has the soy sauce?
- read numbers above aisles, on price labels, and on products
- count items and work out how many more you need
These two zucchini are good, but we need six all together. How many more do we need to find?
- compare the sizes and weights of different items
Do you think the peanuts are heavier or lighter than the rice crackers?
- compare prices
How much does the blue packet cost? How much does the red one cost? Which one is cheaper?
- help find the coins you need
We need a twenty-cent piece and a ten-cent piece, can you find them for me? How much does that make?