The thousands game
5 - 8 years
This is a simple numeracy game that teaches your child number recognition and arithmetic.
What you will need:
- A notepad
- Ten cards with ‘1000’ written on them
- Ten cards with ‘100’ written on them
- Ten cards with ‘10’ written on them
- Ten cards with ‘1’ written on them
- Put the 1000s, 100s, 10s and 1s into four piles next to each other.
- Write a large number on the notepad. For instance, ‘7,354’.
- Ask your child to form the number using the cards in front of them. For instance, if they were making up the number 7,354, they would then line up seven 1000s, three 100s, five 10s and four 1s. Encourage your child with praise as they use the cards to form each number.