Developed in partnership with Education Services Australia
It’s never too early to interest your child in cooking! To blend some literacy and numeracy skills into your recipes, try these top tips:
- talk about the food you come across in children’s books
That's a strange thing to bake in a pie. Do you think it would taste good?
- look through recipe books and magazines together
Is there a good recipe for pasta?
Do we have all those ingredients?
- talk about ingredients, equipment, and cooking steps
Caramelising the onions will bring out the natural sugar so they taste sweet.
First we sear the meat to seal in the juices, then we turn the temperature down.
- involve your child in the process, eg measuring ingredients, stirring, monitoring cooking times
How much does the chicken weigh? Could you check on the scales?
We need to turn the oven down after 40 minutes. It's 4.30 now, so what time will that be?
- encourage your child to write about the food they help make
Why don't you text a photo of the sushi to Nanna, and tell her how we made it?